Monday, May 11, 2020

Explore Poetry

Good morning gang, 

This week I will be posting my Introduction to Poetry outline. This is my favourite unit and it pains me to be sharing online as I believe poetry to be a visceral experience. That being said, in order to prepare for grade 12, be sure to know the literary terms as well as poetic devices that I will be sending along. 

This week, read my outline, work on the terms worksheet, and prepare for the Haiku challenge.

But first, a poem…


Introduction to Poetry

I ask them to take a poem
And hold it up to the light
Like a colour slide
Or press an ear against its hive.

I say drop a mouse into a poem
And watch him probe his way out,
Or walk inside the poem’s room
And feel the walls for a light switch.

I want them to waterski
Across the surface of a poem
Waving at the author’s name on the shore

But all they want to do
Is tie the poem to a chair with rope
And torture a confession out of it.
They begin beating it with a hose
To find out what it really says.

          -Billy Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment